Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
Conversations with Dr. Ann
Conversations with Dr. Ann
|Posted on May 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM|
Ah.... the smell that wakes you and lifts you ever so weightlessly out of bed to the ... blender?
Why yes of course. What did you think I meant?
It's the well known, little used, cure of the morning malaise.
A fresh blend of crisp, nutritious, greens, roots and flavored cream!
Have you ever wondered why it's acceptable to pour oil, sugar and flavorings into a donut but spinach is boiled in water and served up dead? Me too! I've gladly poured ounces of Caramel Macchiatto cream into my cup of poison, I mean coffee, yet have felt the need to close my eyes ( and nose) and muster through my cup of green pureed goodness. Well ... no mas!
Here's a new recipe to kick start that morning blend.
1. Wake up on your own. No wafting in the scent of some pre-programmed poison pot.
(Then again, for those of us who cannot operate a blender without a pre-sipped pot in place, go right ahead.)
2. In a good blender (mine is Oster set on speed 18), add:
* A hand full of greens (spinach, kale, collards...go wild)
* A carrot ( or 4 baby carrots for the still too lazy to peel folks like me)
* A thumb-size of beets (because red puree looks better than green...)
... oh and yes...it's super nutritious, and sweet.
* Add a surprise vegie or fruit... or not. I've added celery and sometimes blueberries, etc.
3. Break out the good stuff ... sugar!
Sugar has gotten a bad wrap! And for that reason, healthy foods go uneaten. Sure, if you will eat your vegies in bulk without...sugar...yum... it's way better. But let's face it, we love sugar so much, we've replaced it with fake sugar and still didn't eat our vegetables (cause who wants fake sugar on spinach! ) So, add the sugar! real sugar! And suddenly, greens stop spoiling in the fridge! (You know you bought it with awesome intentions and wondered what happened when 3 weeks later you're tossing its brown remains in the trash).
So, get fancy with the sugar, healthy with the sugar, flavored with the sugar, juicy with the sugar. Personally, I like juicy and flavored. So to the above blend, I add ...
* A shot of grape juice
* A squirt of caramel syrup and/or a squirt of caramel flavored cream ... mmm
4. As for the liquid to assist in blending, your options are wide open! I use flavored soymilk , but only because that's what's in my fridge (I'm surrounded by vegetarians...we will talk about that soon). Other choices include...
* Milk (pick your choice)
* Juice (pick your choice)
* Water (why would you want to do that! )
5. Let the blending begin!
Initially, you will want to make sure that you didn't add too much liquid. Or too little.
Once that is going, and the blender has reached its maximal speed, reach into your cabinet and take out your multivitamin! Take one!
Yes, most multivitamins are dead on arrival. And probably so before they even left the factory, that's not the point. The point is that you are tired and reaching for straws and not eating well and something has to give. So start by taking your vitamins and end with eating them in nutritious foods.
6. Now for the moment of truth... the blending is over, its content is not green. It looks reddish brown maybe. You're ready to taste it ... STOP. Get a straw. It helps. SECOND. Don't do the taste test. Really? You know it's not a fruit smoothie. Drink with gusto and get it over with. Then walk proud all day knowing that your full serving of fruit and vegetables for the day is done. The rest of the day's vegies, as they say, ... is just gravy.